Arts Every Day Arts Professional Development Specialist
About Arts Every Day
Arts Every Day is proud to be a driving force in building and sustaining a Baltimore City that values public education through creativity, art, and culture. We advocate for and support sequential arts education while working to empower educators as leaders within their school communities. In partnership with the Baltimore City Public Schools, Arts Every Day works to ensure that students have a seat at the opera, feet in the museum and a teaching artist in their classroom. Not only are Baltimore City School students the artists and patrons of tomorrow, they are the leaders and decision makers upon which our city’s future will depend.
Through arts-based learning, we envision that all Baltimore City School communities will serve as centers for innovation, collaboration, and partnership.
Arts Every Day strengthens learning by making arts education and cultural experiences an integral part of classroom instruction for all students.
Serving as a catalyst for creative learning in Baltimore City Public Schools, Arts Every Day builds and sustains long-term partnerships with schools, artists, and cultural institutions while working to connect and empower teachers as leaders within their school communities.
Classification: Part-time, Hourly (Contractual from June 1-15th; Salary begins July 1, 2019)
Reports to: Schools and Partnerships Manager
About the Arts Every Day Schools Program
The Arts Integration Specialist is responsible for supporting arts integration in up to 45 Baltimore City Public Schools by providing relevant and innovative professional development . Through the Arts Every Day Schools Program, Arts Every Day works to overcome barriers of equity and access by partnering with school educators and administrators over the long-term to build school wide Arts Integration Initiatives that inspire and engage both student and teacher. Partner schools identify a teacher to serve as the Arts Integration Coach and initiative leader. AED provides a three-stage model and framework of progress to train and empower teachers to integrate meaningful arts experiences with curricular objectives in their classrooms.
This is done through:
- Targeted Professional Development by the Arts Integration Specialist to increase teachers and administrators comfort level and knowledge of Arts Integration (AI) instruction and assessment strategies
- Ongoing Individualized School Support by the Schools and Partnerships Manager to support AI Coaches as they work with staff on school wide AI Initiatives
- Providing Monetary Investment and Incentive for schools to enhance student academic learning through AI programming
- Promoting Arts and Cultural Partnerships between schools and the arts and cultural community of the greater Baltimore region
Arts Every Day funds ensure access to programs including artist residencies, workshops, and trips to local museums and institutions across Baltimore City. Professional development and individualized school support help teachers integrate the arts into classroom instruction. Most importantly, we partner with schools over the long term to inspire lasting change in teaching and learning in and through the arts, which serves to deepen student engagement and promote authentic learning.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage professional development scheduling for partner schools (schedule will vary based on Partner School availability)
- Facilitate and/or co-facilitate arts integration workshops with Arts Integration Coaches
- Assist with arts integration lesson planning and provide lesson/instructional feedback
- Organize Mid-Year and End-of-Year professional development events for partner schools
- Lead the planning and implementation of Summer Arts Integration Intensive for Partner Schools
- Communicate and collaborate with the Schools and Partnerships Manager
- Manage and complete BCPSS Achievement Unit application and processes for Arts Integration Coaches
- Develop online Teaching & Learning module(s) to support implementation of arts integration across partner schools
- Develop a 3-5 year teacher/principal professional development strategy and arts integration curriculum and evaluation process that aligns with the vision of the Baltimore City Public School District and Maryland State Department of Education
- Complete and submit Year-End professional development reporting to Program Manager
- Facilitate and support school-to-school, peer-to-peer partnerships among Partner Schools
- Support Executive Director on grant writing and grant reporting, as needed;
- Support communications and event planning;
- Maintain photo and written documentation of professional development and related events; coordinate with other staff to post and disseminate;
- Assist and support the Program Manager with the Board Program Committee;
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with at least three years of arts integration teaching experience, including professional development training experiences. Ideal candidate will be familiar with public school culture. Master’s Degree in arts education or related field preferred.
Minimum Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Possess attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects
- Excellent oral, written, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of the AED team
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, MailChimp, EventBrite and Salesforce;
Please send cover letter and resume with the subject line “First and Last Name: Arts Integration Specialist” to email@example.com
Submission Timeline: Priority given to applications received by Monday, April 15, 2019. Start date July 1, 2019.
Carla Blackwell, Schools and Partnerships Manager | 410-685-1172 | firstname.lastname@example.org